Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apple/Cabbage/Cheese Slaw-Gourmet February 1972

This was another recipe from an old Gourmet magazine. It called for half mayo, and half sour cream. I don't keep mayonnaise on hand, and given the whole poisonous egg scare, I didn't feel like making any-so I used all sour cream, and a bit of heavy cream to mix it.

The boys really liked it. I suppose a cup of sour cream, a cup of Swiss cheese, and a bunch of apples will do wonders for raw cabbage, but I was still a little shocked they enjoyed it as much as they did.

You Will Need:

3 cups peeled, diced apples (I used Golden delicious)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups finely shredded white cabbage
1 cup finely diced Swiss cheese
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup full-fat sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream


In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, cabbage, cheese, walnuts, and salt. Toss well. In a small bowl, whisk the rest together. Pour over salad, and mix well. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. It is better second day.

No comments: