Friday, October 01, 2010

Molasses Pound Cake


I can't get the photos to upload correctly (arrgh) but the recipe is too great to skip posting. I adapted it from Better Homes and Gardens Pies and Cakes, 1966-but changed quite a bit as I went. The glaze I ended up giving it was simply apple cider mixed with icing sugar, which is really delicious-I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.

You Will need:

1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup full flavour molasses
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2/3 cup whole milk

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, mixing well. Beat in molasses. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk. Pour into a greased and floured Bundt cake pan (6 cup) and bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cool, in pan on rack for 1 hour. Cool completely on rack. Glaze, or dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.

No comments: