Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mincemeat Mini-Pies


A gigantic mincemeat pie is too much for one person, even Mr. ETB (and he does dearly love mincemeat pie). This particular batch of mincemeat was canned two years ago...two years of soaking up brandy.


As I was putting these tiny pies together (it took about an hour) I was listening to a radio show about ADD. If you think that's funny, the author was complaining about how the title of his book had to be shortened to simply, "Distracted" for sale in the American market. I laughed so hard I nearly dropped a tray of mincemeat pies. Anyway, yeah-they take a bit of attention to detail, but I'm fairly confident you can manage it without anti-psychotic medications. I mean, aren't those speed anyway? You need steady hands for this sort of pastry work.

Here's what you do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Make a double-crust pastry, roll it out and fit the bottom rounds into the mini tins. Fill with mincemeat. Top wither with latticed strips of pastry, or cut-out rounds. Crimp lightly. Bake about 40 minutes, or until nicely browned. I brushed mine with egg yolk, but you could use milk, or cream, or nothing at all.

No comments: