Friday, May 20, 2011

Armageddon Days Are Here Again?

So, if the world ends tomorrow and by some mistake I end up ascending to heaven, I just want you to feel free to help yourselves to my husband...because we all know he ain't goin' nowhere. I'm probably not either. You can still borrow Mr. ETB if you must. I'll need him back to mow the lawn though (does the grass still grow in the End Times?).

Now, for a recipe. How about Date Raptures? I never made them because I thought I'd get a million Google hits for, "Date Rape", but what with this being potentially the end of the world, what the...er...hell?

From The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950 edition:

"Last Minute Date Raptures"

Sift together:

1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Add:

1/4 cup soft shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. grated orange rind

Beat until smooth.

Blend in:
1 cup cut-up dates.

Pour into greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees F. 25-30 minutes.

Pour over them:

3/4 cup strained orange juice
1/4 cup sugar.

The juice soaks into the cakes.

No comments: