Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Bitter Chocolate Orange Ice-Gourmet Magazine September, 1973


This ice is too good to lose to a stack of forgotten magazines. Promise me you will give this a try before the summer comes and goes. This would be a wonderful dessert for guests that cannot have dairy. If I had thought of it, the ices could be served in hollowed-out orange halves.
Nice chandelier. That's where Gourmet went wrong in the final years-they stopped putting photographs of Austrian crystals on the cover. I mean, you just know a magazine with that kind of lighting fixture on the cover is going to be page after page of elegant stuff, not attempts to class-up chicken fried steak and green bean casserole for fuckwit foodie types.


I did not do the beating with a mixer part, instead stirring it every hour or so with a fork until it froze and solidified. I will post the recipe as printed, but I also think it could be made in an ice cream maker if you don't have room for freezer trays. I used a 9x13 glass baking dish rather than the two trays suggested, and my results were excellent.

One final thought-I might try exchanging the vanilla extract for a bit of orange blossom water.

In a small dish sprinkle 2 teaspoons gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water to soften for 5 minutes.

In a heavy saucepan combine 3 cups water with 2 cups sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring and washing down any crystals sticking to side of pan. When sugar is dissolved, increase heat to high and boil for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add 1 tablespoon grated orange rind and 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind. Stir in the gelatin. Stir the mixture until the gelatin is dissolved, and let it cool to lukewarm.

In a heavy saucepan, melt 4 ounces unsweetend chocolate over very low heat. Transfer the chocolate to a bowl and beat in the syrup mixture in a slow stream. Stir in 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Transfer the mixture to 2 freezer trays and cover with foil. Freeze until mushy. Transfer mixture to a bowl and beat it until it is smooth. return to tray and freeze until solid (about 4 hours). Makes about 1 quart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord... Thank God for your vintage recipe finding skills! Can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord... Thank goodness for your vintage recipe findings! I can't wait to try this!

Goody said...

Thank you, Anne. I like to share my cookbook/magazine collection rather than have them collect dust in a box upstairs.