Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Need Advice on Vintage Clothing

Anyone out there familiar with dyeing vintage clothing? I have an eyelet dress from the 50's that has discoloured to yellow from white, and I would like to dye it. I don't really care what colour, though black would probably be most practical. I'm concerned that the fabric, being old and somewhat brittle might fall apart. I don't mind doing the dyeing by hand outside, and I have plenty of space to make a mess with dye-I just don't know what sort of dye to use, sealer, and if this is even worth bothering with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And while I'm at it-any advice for restoring a black, silk drop-waist dress from the 1920's would be helpful as well. It has some holes (insect damage I suspect) that can't be rewoven, but I'm guessing someone skilled with a needle and thread might know how to fill them in. Anyone?

No comments: