Friday, June 17, 2011

Pumpernickel Bread-Sort Of


I say, "sort of" as it isn't anywhere near as dark as the pumpernickel I remember from childhood. I haven't tried any of this, but it is disappearing fast, both toasted and plain, so I'll assume it was well received.

From Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Book

You Will Need:

3 packages dry yeast (I did NOT use that much. I opted for 4 teaspoons and that worked just fine)
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 3/4 cups rye flour
2-3 cups AP flour
1/2 cup dark molasses (I used full flavour, but next time would try blackstrap)
2 tablespoons shortening (I used butter) 1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon caraway seed
Cornmeal for dusting


Soften the yeast in the water until foamy. Combine rye flour, 1 cup of the AP flour, molasses, shortening, caraway seed, salt, and softened yeast. Beat well. Stir in enough AP flour until you have a dough that is no longer sticky and can be kneaded. Knead until smooth.

Place in buttered bowl, cover and let rise until doubled-about 2 hours. Punch down, divide in 2 and let rest 10 minutes.

Shape each into a ball and place on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled-about 45 minutes. meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

The instructions did not say to score the loaves, but I did. Do as you see fit.

Bake until well-browned (about 35 minutes or until it reads an internal temperature around 200 degrees F.). If you desire a chewy crust, brush with water several times during the last 10-15 minutes of baking, otherwise dust with flour before baking.

Makes 2 smallish loaves.

No comments: