Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Three Bean Salad


I used both the purple bush beans and the young Borlotto pods growing in the garden. The kidney beans were purchased, but it does have me thinking of growing them next year.

This salad is best a day after you make it. Feel free to substitute the standard green bean/wax bean combination-or go wild and add chick peas, favas, or whatever. As my beans were fresh, I steamed them lightly before making the salad. You could just as easily open a tin.

You Will Need:

2 cups cooked beans (I used a combination of Borlotto and purple bush beans)
1 tin red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup corn oil
4 tablespoons sugar
Salt/Pepper
1 small red onion, chopped
2 small bay leaves

Combine, cover and keep chilled a day before serving. Makes about 1 quart.

No comments: