Monday, October 17, 2011

Tofu Salt Beef/Corned Beef

(scrape the pickling spice off before you serve it)


Keep in mind, that if I'm dared to cook something, odds are I'll probably do it.

I used the same method I use for baked tofu with mustard, barbecue, schnitzel, Chinese, etc. As long as there is enough oil and vinegar in the pan, the spices are pretty easy to adjust. I added a bit of food colouring to make it more appealing, but you can of course skip that.

I have a sourdough ryebread ready for baking in the morning, and tomorrow night, I plan to turn this tofu into vegetarian Reubens. Even as it was baking away in the oven, I was doubtful it would be edible, let alone bear any similarity to salt beef. Well! Yes, I am quite pleased with myself. Now I suppose I have to try the tofu chicken Kiev, just to say I tried.

You Will Need:

1 package extra firm tofu, sliced into 8 pieces, and pressed dry
6 tablespoons corn oil
3 tablespoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3-4 drops red food colouring

Mix everything except tofu in a bowl, whisking to combine. Pour half in a large baking dish that will let the tofu sit in a single layer (I used a 9x13). Place tofu in dish, turn once to coat, and pour remaining marinade over the top. Cover, and let sit in fridge 2-6 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake 30 minutes. Turn slices and rotate the pan to ensure even browning. Turn again, bake another 30 minutes. Mine took another twenty minutes after that, but it will depend how much water you were able to extract from the tofu, how hard you like your baked tofu, etc. It should have a bit of a char on the edges. Remove to a plate, cool. Wrap tightly in cling film and store in the fridge. It will take on a "meatier" texture as it settles after baking.

No comments: