Saturday, January 28, 2012

Buttermilk Oat Crisps

The oats are so good for you, they counteract the 1/2 cup of buttermilk and butter. See? Healthfood!



From 641 Tested Recipes From the Sealtest Kitchens, 1954

These look similar to the oatcakes I made a few weeks back, but these are clearly a biscuit/cookie rather than a cracker. I prefer the light texture from the buttermilk, and they are delicious both warm and cold. The recipe suggested cutting in strips, but I suck at strips, so I did rounds and cut them into triangles. I scattered coarse salt atop one batch before baking, but they still taste sweet. Danny had some for tea with grapefruit fennel jam.

You Will Need:

2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats, crumbled (I used quick oats)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter

Combine dry ingredients. Add butter, then milk and mix well by hand. Knead lightly. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Divide dough into eighths. Roll into circles 1/8th inch thick. Cut into triangles. Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden. Remove to a rack. Serve warm or cold.

No comments: