Monday, January 30, 2012

Hungarian Cabbage and Noodle Flakes

I wasn't sure what, "Noodle Flakes" were, so I took a bag of bowties and bashed them with a rolling pin until I had flakes. I think that was probably close.

The recipe comes from, Kosher Cookery, Classic and Contemporary by, Frances R. AvRutick

You Will Need:

1 medium sized head of cabbage (about 2 pounds)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup margarine
1/2-1 cup minced onion (I used 1 cup)
8 Ounces noodle flakes (I used half a bag of bow tie noodles, crushed)
Dash of black pepper

I used a sharp knife to finely cut the cabbage-0a grater or food processor will do as well.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart casserole, and set aside.

Core and wash the cabbage. Grate or cut finely. Sprinkle with salt, and let sit two hours. Wring dry in kitchen towels (this is a bit of work).

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the margarine and cook the onion until softened. Add the cabbage and fry until lightly browned. Cook and drain the noodles. Mix together and pour into prepared dish. Bake 20-30 minutes or until browned on top.

No comments: