Saturday, February 18, 2012

Chelsea Buns


They worked! I used the overnight rise in the fridge, then warmed them back to room temperature for an hour before baking.

For the dough, I used a sweet yeast bread dough (I rather like the one in the 1950 Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook). I let it rise 2 hours, punched it down and let it rest 20 minutes. I rolled the dough into a large rectangle, spread it generously with 3 tablespoons softened butter and about 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I sprinkled it with a generous amount (about 2 cups) chopped dried apricots, raisins, and cherries. I rolled them, cut them thick and placed them not quite touching in well-buttered pans. At that point, I set them in the fridge overnight.

Next day: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Warm rolls to room temperature (you can hurry things along by placing them atop the preheating oven) for about 1 hour. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove to a rack over a backing sheet (to catch drips) and pull buns gently apart. Brush generously with honey.

No comments: