Friday, May 18, 2012

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake-A World of Baking, 1968


This is a substantial cake. That means, heavy in case you didn't get my attempt at being a stylish writer. Being substantial (or heavy) isn't a bad thing when it comes to a chocolate cake, mind. Could I have gone with a seven minute frosting for a better balance than a thick sour cream number that has nine ounces of semi sweet chocolate and 1/3 of a cup of butter along with the sour cream? OK, clearly you guys don't get my writing style...you aren't expected to answer that. Yes, surely I could have made this cake lighter, but what point is there in eating cake if you're not going to spend the remainder of the evening fully aware that you've just consumed cake. I mean, if you want light, go eat a bloody rice cake. This is cake for people that want cake. And chocolate. And sour cream, butter, cream cheese...

I was left with quite a bit of extra frosting as I used apricot jam for the centre (I just made 8 pints of the stuff, what did you expect me to use?). I couldn't bear to toss it out, but I have no idea what to do with the remaining two cups of frosting. I doubt it would freeze well. Anyone want to come over and have frosting shots? The stuff firms up really well, I wonder if it could be dipped in chocolate like truffles?

This is the second cake I've baked from A World of Baking by, Dolores Casella. I also own her book, A World of Bread, but have yet to bake anything from it. Weekend project, perhaps. I made a few changes in the recipe such as using unsalted butter, regular sugar, and semi-sweet rather than sweet chocolate.

Let's make some damn cake, shall we?

You Will Need:

For the Cake:

2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb.
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 pound cream cheese
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Grease and flour 2 9 inch pans. Set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl cream together the cream cheese and butter. Slowly incorporated the sugar. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla. Beat in the chocolate until well mixed. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk starting and ending with the dry. Pour into pans, tap gently on counter to release air bubbles. Bake 30-35 minutes or until it tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before turning out on a rack to cool. The book says 5 minutes, but my experience says 10. Do as you see fit. Cool completely before filling and frosting.

For the Frosting:

9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped(the original called for chips, but I used Baker's Chocolate)
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups icing sugar, sifted

In a heavy bottomed pan (or using a double boiler if you are too ham fisted to manage melting chocolate without screwing it up) melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring to prevent scorching (a heat-proof spatula works really well for this). Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and salt. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until the frosting hold a shape. Done properly, this is a lovely frosting that swirls easily.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Yes, Please and Thank You! Two sweets that I adore more than any other...chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies! I like the bit about the rice cakes :)