Monday, May 07, 2012

My New Favourite Banana Bread

I've always used oil in banana bread as I was under the impression it improved storage time. This version is now over a week old, and is still fresh enough to enjoy for breakfast without toasting in the oven (you can do that with quick breads, you know. For god's sake, don't ever bin a quickbread unless it has gone mouldy-there's still plenty of life in it).

Danny has been going on (and on) over the texture of this bread, which is lighter than the typical banana loaf. I added extra baking powder, and made use of baking soda as well. The original recipe came from my newly acquired (Library Sale, Thursdays 10-3 and first Saturday of the month, Swanson branch, Omaha)copy of The American Heritage Cookbook. I made a few changes (omitted nuts, added chocolate chips, increased baking powder) but the use of butter and sour cream was new territory for me. I'm glad I didn't turn my nose up without trying it-the loaf is really delicious.

You Will Need:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter0
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup mashed, ripe bananas
2 tablespoons thick sour cream
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips plus more for the top of the loaf

Butter a loaf pan well. I use an over-sized Pullman loaf pan (without the top) as I like a long, shorter cake-but anything will work, just be sure to keep an eye on the time and test once in a while to see it doesn't over bake. preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, bicarb, baking powder, and salt-set aside. Soften the butter, then beat in sugar a small bit at a time until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and bananas. Stir in flour mixture alternating with sour cream. Lastly, mix in chips, then pour into pan spreading to even. Scatter additional chips across the top of the loaf. Bake about 1 hour, or until cake tests done. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then remove to rack and cool completely. Banana bread keeps well tightly wrapped in wax paper and then an overlay of cling film. It is also better if permitted to rest at least 12 hours before serving. That may prove a challenge.

No comments: