Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Strawberry Coconut Key Lime Pie


I made this pie to use up key limes and strawberries, both of which I had in substantial amounts. I wasn't really sure what I'd end up with, but the pie turned out lovely. I made mine on the tart side, though citrus-hating son didn't have any difficulty ploughing through it, and rated it an 8 on a scale of 10 (I had no idea he had been rating my baking, but apparently that's what he's been up to, complete with records).

I could see this as small tarts as well, perhaps for a summer party.

For the crust:

1 1/3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons melted butter

Combine and press into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 325 degrees F. until nicely browned-about 25 minutes. Cool before filling.

For the Strawberry/Key Lime Filling:

1/2 quart strawberries, crushed and forced through a sieve to total 1 1/4 cups juice
1/4 cup Key lime juice
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Bring strawberry and lime juice to a boil. Slowly whisk in the sugar and cornstarch. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil cooking over medium heat. Boil 1 minute longer. Remove to a bowl, cover with wax paper directly on surface to prevent a skin forming. Cool, then chill completely before using to fill cold pie shell.

For the Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract

Beat cream until nearly stiff. beat in icing sugar. Beat in extract. Use to top pie.

No comments: