Tuesday, October 09, 2012

I Made That Chuck Roast, I Did

The Internets weren't much help locating my mum's brisket recipe, so I improvised. Mr. ETB really enjoyed it, so I'd better record the recipe here as I froze the other half of the roast.

I needed my oven for bread, so I treated it like a boiled supper, and cooked it on the hob. Four hours did it, over the lowest heat setting.

You Will Need:

Chuck roast
1 large onion, sliced
1 bottle chili sauce (any kind will do)
1 cup Concord grape sweet wine, plus extra to rinse the chili bottle
3 cloves garlic, peeled
4 carrots, diced
1 parsnip, diced
2 beef stock cubes
A bay leaf
A generous grinding of black pepper
Beef suet for searing (sure, you can use oil)

Heat a couple knobs of rendered beef suet in a Dutch oven. Sear the roast. Add vegetables, and stock cubes. Cover all with chili sauce. Add wine. Rinse chili sauce bottle with additional wine. Add bay leaf and pepper. Cover, and cook over low heat several hours until tender. Remove meat and vegetables from pot. Strain through a fine sieve. return to pot and boil rapidly until reduced and thickened into a gravy. Serve with roast. If you aren't serving immediately, chill the sauce and scrape any additional fat that rises to the surface. Otherwise, what the hell, this ain't health food.

First night I served this with a crusty baguette. The second evening I served it over noodles. Tomorrow, it will be a sandwich.

No comments: