Monday, October 01, 2012

So Simple a Seven Year Old Can Make It

In an effort to teach my son to cook, I've been covering the basics. Today, he made a basic sauce to serve over white beans. Dinner was Delectica squash halves filled with kasha and mushrooms topped with white kidney beans in the following sauce:

2 cups vegetable stock, warmed
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat until it sizzles. With a wooden spoon, beat in the flour and cook a minute or so until foamy. Whisk in the stock, and continue cooking, whisking constantly over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in beans, and adjust seasonings.

If you prefer a white sauce, use milk in place of the stock.

Danny was pleased with how well his first attempt at sauce turned out, as I was I. The sooner he learns to feed himself, the sooner I can move out. He muttered something about turning my bedroom into a studio, but I don't think he meant it as he really can't paint.

I also taught him how to sew on a button, and hem a pair of pants, so I guess he's better prepared for life than many people I know.

No comments: