Monday, January 07, 2013

Banana and Sunflower Butter Ice Cream

The same day that Mr. ETB came home with the bargain oxtails, we also scored some *really* overripe bananas (and bags of lemons, key limes, avocados, and other still acceptable produce). The produce came from the Warehouse Surplus, a place well worth the trip to Wahoo, particularly if you are a baker. I made several batches of banana chips in the dehydrator, and then I turned my attention to breads, muffins, and this ice cream.

I used whole, cream-top milk for this as I had it leftover from something else. Ordinarily, I would use 2% and cream, but due to the weight of the banana, I think this worked out better. I suspect you could achieve excellent results with skim.

I make my ice cream in a metal baking pan in the freezer. Stirring it every 20 minutes with a fork does the trick, but you can of course use an ice cream maker, though that will make a lighter ice cream.

You Will Need:

2 cups whole milk (or milk/cream, skim milk, etc.)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks (I used large eggs)
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
1 large, ripe banana-mashed well

In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat to steaming. Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk the milk slowly into the eggs in a stream (or temper it if you're not confident at this sort of thing). Return to heat, and cook until it is 170 degrees F. Meanwhile, in another heat-proof bowl, combine the mashed banana, and sunflower seed butter. Strain the custard through a fine sieve into the banana/sunflower butter mixture. Whisk until combined. Place in a water bath with ice cubes to cool, then chill several hours in the fridge. When completely chilled, freeze in tray, or use an ice cream maker. Store in a plastic container, and allow to set a few hours before serving.

Makes about 1 pint.

No comments: