Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Striper/Striped Bass/ Rockfish

 
 "Fish heads, fish heads, rolly-poly-fish heads, fish heads, fish heads, eat them up yum."







I'd have preferred the fish had been scaled and gutted (and filleted) before I had to cook it, but in the end, the boys enjoyed it. No one would touch the head. No one would gut or scale it either, but I guess that's what Mamas are for. Maybe I'll get a new fish knife for Mother's Day.

The easiest way to deal with striper is simply to bake it covered, with foil at 475 degrees F. for about 8 minutes per pound. I stuffed the fish with a wild rice, and spinach filling, but as long as you use enough butter or oil, anything will do. The fish avoids drying out, so long as you keep the cooking time within reason.

Once baked, the skin peels away easily, and the bones are large enough that you can serve the fish in sections, or lift off large pieces. Keep in mind that the striped bass has a very sharp fin that will draw blood if you are unlucky enough to stab yourself. I'm speaking from experience. 





No comments: