Sunday, May 26, 2013

First Comics

Today was Danny's first visit to a comic book store. Until recently, he wasn't terribly interested in comics, and it was only after a chance YouTube viewing of a Woody Woodpecker cartoon (he was searching for birdwatching videos) that he found he enjoyed them-well, Woody anyway.

Woody Woodpecker hasn't been published in a very long time, but we found a store with a sizable stock of vintage issues from the 50's through the 70's. They're not terribly sought after by collectors, so we were able to afford a few issues.  The laughter coming from the back seat as we drove home was worth every penny.

I never really saw myself standing in line outside a comic book store on a Sunday morning waiting for them to open with a group of awkward middle school boys waiting to go inside and play whatever game it is they all play now (Magic? Is that it? I'm not really up on this stuff), but there I was, and I realised I was the oldest person there-by a looooong way. We didn't have a comic book store where I lived as a child, but we had newsstands that sold comics and magazines. The one in my neighbourhood had a couple pinball machines in the back . I spent a lot of time at that newsstand.  There was a bookie next door. Really, there was! I think the giveaway was the decals of horses on the front window. I never bet on ponies, but I did purchase my share of comic books, though I remember being aghast when they went to .20 cents, swearing I'd never purchase another, only to have them jump to .25 cents shortly after. That was a lot of money when you only got .25 cents a week. Sometimes I wanted a pack of gum (Teaberry) which cost a dime. I think this is the point where I'm supposed to scream about you damn kids on my lawn with your long-playing records and funny cigarettes.

Strangely, in the same week Danny discovered Woody Woodpecker, he came across a copy of Dr. Fegg's Encyclopaedia of All World Knowledge, so I've been hearing laughter, giggling, and snorting from the kid for days. I suppose we'll be getting him old Mad Magazines next.

We've been finishing out the school year, preparing to move house, and get the syllabus and paperwork in order for next year's schooling. I won't be around here much over the next month or so (We're eating down the freezer in advance of the move, so I don't anticipate cooking much new and exciting) because nearly all my time will be consumed packing books. Good god, where did they all come from? Like rabbits, you have a couple, and the next thing you know you're overrun. I may pop in from time to time, but I'll use this traditional start of the summer to wish everyone a swell time, and see you come September.

I swear, I have no idea how we ended up with so many books.

1 comment:

Janice said...

I'll look forward to the times when you "pop in" from time to time. Good luck on your move. I would vote for a move to Ohio :) Happy Summer!