Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Prune Plums Are Here

At the grocer today, Danny spied the first prune plums.

"Oh, you have to call Mark right away so he can order you two cases. Wait, get three this year."

I'm pleased that my child is on a first name basis with the produce manager at our market, but I'm less pleased with him making more work for me. We will not be purchasing three cases of prune plums (that would be something like 90 lbs.) though I'm sure I could make use of them.

We bought a bag to just enjoy without the pressure of drying or canning, and boy, are they good. I made a peach and plum cobbler for dessert tonight, and it was just the right balance of sweet and tart-and the colour was magnificent.

Last year we made plum butter, plum sauce for pot-stickers, chutney, dried prunes, dried salted prunes, two frozen pies, a mock sloe gin, and some jelly. We used all but a jar of chutney, and I doubt this year's consumption pattern will vary much. I've learned over the years what we use, and I can assure you, three cases is far too much for three people.

If you've never tried a prune plum, I encourage you to give them a try-but I can't be responsible if you end up purchasing a case (or three).

Get them soon-the season is very short.

2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

All of these new fruit hybrids that have been coming out in recent years are so delicious! DH went through a major spell of loving plumcots (plum + apricot) a couple summers back. A sweet one of those beats candy any day!

♥ Jessica

*PS* Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my post about our Calgary road trip. I'd be super happy to share how our experience with having in suite kitchen plays out (it's a first for me, as I've traveled so very little in the 11 years that I've been chronically ill). If I don't cover something in particular you have questions about in my posts after the trip, please feel free to email me anytime, dear

*PSS* I really, really hope your vintage senses are right - it would be extra fitting to find some vintage winter wear in a city that's famous for its snowy winters! :)

Goody said...

Have a wonderful trip!