Friday, September 13, 2013

Applesauce Cake

 The glass item is for skimming the cream that collected at the top of milk bottles. Western United was a dairy in operation where I grew up. I never recall seeing any cream, or top milk for that matter, but then our mother was obsessively calorie conscious, so she likely poured it down the sink. She lived to be 54, and to my knowledge never enjoyed a meal without calculating the damage. Really, I doubt she ever really enjoyed a meal. I'm serving cream with this cake, and I fully intend to enjoy it.
It isn't the flashiest cake, but it is easy, delicious, and makes the house smell lovely as it bakes.


We made (too much) applesauce earlier this week from the first early local apples (Jonathans). Applesauce cake is a convenient dumping ground nice use for too much of a good thing that needs using up. The recipe I used comes from, America Cooks, The General Federation of Women's Clubs Cookbook, 1967. I like this cookbook. It has reliable recipes that aren't terribly difficult, or requiring exotic ingredients. This recipe comes from a woman in Missouri.

I am serving this with a dusting of icing sugar, and a dollop of whipped cream on the side.

You Will Need:

2 2/3 cups plain flour
2 cups granulated sugar (I cut this to 1 1/4 and it was still quite sweet)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarb)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup soft shortening (I used Crisco)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add shortening and water, and beat well for 2 minutes. Add applesauce and egg and beat 2 minutes longer. Tip the batter into the pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toothpick (mine took closer to 38 minutes, but ovens vary). Cool 15 minutes in pan, then turn out onto a rack top cool.

No comments: