Monday, September 09, 2013

Butterscotch Brownies-Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies 1966 edition

 These are so sweet your head will do that wooo woooo thing that happens when you wash down a chocolate bar with a fizzy drink. Just like that. I don't mean that is a bad thing exactly, just be warned. The original recipe called for nuts, which I omitted.

Do you like my new coffee mug? I bought it for a buck last weekend. I'm only sorry they didn't have the set.

Mr. ETB grabbed a brownie after dinner, took a bite, and asked if they were supposed to have walnuts.
"I've had these, when we lived at Ft. Lewis."

That was close to fifty years ago! I know my mother in law baked, but how they hell he remembers a bar cookie he hasn't seen in half a century...so yeah, he went all Proust, and now he's threatening to take to bed and start writing.
I didn't put salt and pepper in the brownies. Danny collects salt and pepper shakers. You can't see it in the photo, but these have very long tails. They are completely impractical as shakers, as they tip easily. About all they're good for is admiring, so please, admire them. And hey, would you just look at those butterscotch brownies...man, they look good enough to eat. You'll need the recipe of course, so shall we?

You Will Need:

1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)

In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar; cook over low heat until mixture bubbles. Stir constantly. Cool slightly. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into sugar mixture. Spread in a greased 8x8 inch pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat egg white to soft peaks. Add corn syrup slowly, then the sugar in very small amounts at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in nuts if using. Spread over dough. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool, cut in squares. Makes about 16 if you cut them like a miser. We got about half that.

2 comments:

Curtise said...

Hello! Thank you for commenting on my blog, I appreciate it. Now I am investigating your little corner of the blogging world, and loving the sound of these brownies. Corn syrup - I don't know what that is! Is it the equivalent of our golden syrup? I will have to find out...
And yes, I DO like your new mug, and the impractical shakers!
Love Curtise xx

Goody said...

Corn syrup is similar to Golden syrup, but refined from corn. Glucose syrup is also similar. Where Golden syrup has a distinctive flavor, corn syrup doesn't really taste of anything but sweet. As far as a recipe like this is concerned, they're pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't want to make flapjack out of it, and I can tell you cinder toffee isn't very good made with it (I tried). We use it here because it is made from corn which is dirt cheap as it is government subsidised.

Thank you for stopping by.