Monday, November 11, 2013

Chocolate Malt Bars-Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies, 1966

These are my new-to-me Japanese ironstone plates from the 70's. I paid .59 cents ea. I should have bought more than two, but I have no room left in my groaning china cabinet. I'm such a sucker for nice plates.



Mr. ETB is a malt fanatic. The ice cream, cakes, and other things people stir malt into are simply the delivery system to him-if he could it the powder straight from the jar, he'd do it. Over the years I've made homemade candies, malted popcorn, ice cream, and hot cocoa, but these have to be the best malt-based recipe I've tried so far. The frosting is optional, but it is so delicious I urge you not to skip it. You're eating brownies...you're going to worry about frosting? Live a little. I made a slight change adding 1 tablespoon of dark powdered cocoa. You can omit this if you prefer. I also omitted the nuts.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup chocolate flavoured malt powder
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)

Malt Frosting:
2 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 cup chocolate malt powder
Dash salt
1 cup icing sugar
light cream to make spreadable (I used milk)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan. Combine shortening, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs and chocolate. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Spread in pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

To make frosting:

Combine butter, malt, and salt. Add icing sugar slowly a bit at a time until incorporated. Add enough cream or milk to make it a spreading consistency. Ice the bars, and store covered in the fridge. Take them out twenty minutes before serving to warm to room temperature.

4 comments:

Raymond said...

I'm w/Mr ETB. I *love* malt (and WOULD eat the powder right outta the jar). When I was a kid mom used to buy these malt tablets - about the size of two or three Necco wafers stacked. Compacted malt (powder, I guess) into round tabs. I couldn't eat enough of them.

Goody said...

Malties! I had to go do a google search as soon as you mentioned them, but sadly, the tablets have been discontinued by the manufacturer.Boo hiss.

I did notice that malt tablets are being sold as a supplement at vitamin stores, but I'd guess it isn't sweetened.

Raymond said...

You might like this article, tho you may have seen it already:

http://www.guavarose.com/2011/10/horlicks-malt-cookie-tablets/

The author makes malt tabs (cookies) from the powder. And even the illustration with the article reminds me of you!

Goody said...

I hadn't seen the blog, but I did bookmark her recipe for a Chantilly cake (Sans nuts, of course) to make for MR. ETB's birthday. He live in Hawaii as a small child before they headed to Germany, and still speaks fondly of the experience.
Thanks for pointing it out, it may end up a favourite read.