Monday, November 11, 2013

Paprika and Onion Potatoes

Photo was taken at about the half-way point in cooking. As the potatoes soften, you'll be able to press them into the pan a bit more compactly.



There's a store near here that sells large bags of Yukon Gold potatoes for .99 cents. They last a while if properly stored, and as waxy potatoes go, they are rather inoffensive. I keep looking for new ways to use them, and this was popular at dinner this evening.

You Will Need:

Diced, boiled waxy potatoes
A chopped onion or two depending on how many potatoes you have
A generous knob of clarified butter
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon smoked salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Heat a heavy skillet (I used cast iron for this) over medium heat, and add the butter. Add the onions and fry a couple minutes until they start to colour. Add the spices, stir well, and if it looks too dry, add a bit more butter. Add the potatoes, toss to coat with spices and butter, and with a heavy spatula, smash them down as well as possible into the pan. Turn the heat down to low, and let them develop a good char on the underside-about ten to fifteen minutes. Right before serving, give the heat a good blast, then quickly remove the potatoes to a platter. You may be able to up-end the entire thing on a platter, but I didn't even try as arthritis has weakened my joints and there's no way in hell I can manage a cast iron pan in one hand, and a platter in another. I just inverted each serving with a spatula onto a plate. Your call, do what your arm strength tells you.

2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

I absolutely adore paprika, and all the more because the milder (sweet) versions on one of just a few spices I can handle from a health standpoint. I go through a lot of it at our house, and will be whipping up these scrumptious potatoes before the week is up. Thank you very much for the splendid recipe.

As well, my dear gal, thank you so very much for your awesomely nice comment on today's post. You're spot on all the way. I don't let the odd negative comment get to me at all any more. I feel so blessed to have an abundance of wonderful, friendly, kind spirited readers and online friends like yourself, and those are the people I (with the exception of today's post ;)) much prefer to focus my time and attention on.

Tons of hugs,
♥ Jessica

Goody said...

I'm glad my comment didn't come out as inarticulate as I was afraid it might (I don't do mornings well anymore). I just don't understand what people get from being snide.