Tuesday, February 18, 2014

1940's Dress/90's Jacket

The thermometer outside our house read 77 degrees F. at 1 PM. That is not typical February weather in Omaha. I did what any sane person would do-I made a picnic lunch, grabbed a book to read aloud, and held afternoon class outdoors. You don't waste days like today. Danny got out his large sketchbook and pastels, made a mess, and enjoyed himself. It is due to snow tomorrow evening.
 
I adore this dress, but it loathes me. Clearly, it does not fit, never did fit, and without serious work, it never shall. But I love it, faults be damned. If I got rid of everything I loved over a few tiny faults I'd be on my tenth husband by now.
This is a handsewn dress, that someone put a great deal of thought and effort into. Who am I to alter it?
 
Maybe she could have paid better attention to the sleeve. Sleeves are hard.
If I keep my arms at my sides no one will be the wiser.
Outfit Particulars:

1940's home-sewn dress-Thrifted years ago
Belt-old, retail
Talbot's silk jacket (90's I think) Thrifted .99 cents
Shoes-retail, sale
Bangles-thrifted here and there
Butterfly brooch-Hand-Me-Ups Store
60's beads-thrifted
50's earrings-thrifted
60's ring-Mum's

What you can't see in the photo is how long this dress is. It comes past mid-calf on me (I'm short, and the dress is too large anyway adding length)which has to be the oddest length to wear. I finally found a pair of shoes that didn't look idiotic with it, but it took several tries to get right.




See that black thing sticking out from beneath the vanity? That's a shower stool. I balked at first, thinking it was the sort of thing only old ladies use. How wrong I was (to balk)! Sure, it is old lady-ish, as am I. Do you have any idea how great it is to sit, and shower? That was the best money I ever spent. Really, I don't know how I lived without it.

By my calculation there's still an hour or so of sunshine left-I'm off to make the most of it before the snow arrives.

77 degrees F. in February, in Omaha. Something ain't right.

2 comments:

Curtise said...

What wild variations in temperatures, that's crazy! But I agree, take advantage of the warmth while you can.
The dress looks cool actually, in a vaguely military-meets-Joan Crawford kind of way. Could you shorten it a tad? I like it anyway, especially with all the bits and bobs of jewellery.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my last post, I appreciate it. xxx

Goody said...

As soon as you said, "Joan Crawford" I knew what the dress needed-shoulder pads! I think that may just solve the sleeve issue *smacks forehead*