Sunday, February 23, 2014

1970's Apricot Bridesmaid Dress

I don't know about you, but full length, polyester, bridesmaid dresses will always have a place in my wardrobe. I have the identical dress in avocado. I could have had a third dress from the same collection, but it was too small, and had spaghetti straps (must have been a younger bridesmaid). I would give anything to see photos of the wedding party. Anyone from Omaha recognise this dress?
Look at the details! I adore eyelet, and floral trim.

Unfortunately, it is still winter, so I had to cover up all the great details with a jacket. We stopped by the library, and took advantage of their red wall in the lobby. I never thought of colour-coordinating my posts with libraries, but I might be on to something.

Outfit Particulars:

1970's bridesmaid dress
Marty Gutmacher 1970's jacket-Thrift World, Millard
1960's handbag-Goodwill
Earrings-retail
1970's shoes-thrifted
Wooden necklace-Goodwill
Bracelets-thrifted
Headband-Tiff and Tam





On the way home today, Mr. ETB suggested we stop by a thrift store I rarely go to. I'm glad he did, I came home with a velvet and lace Dior pillbox hat that was in pristine condition. It must have lived in a hatbox for the last 50 years, because even the netting looked like new, and that's typically the first thing to go, even in storage. I will be featuring it in a post soon. I seem to find the best stuff when I least feel like looking.

 

What about you? Do you find the thrifting gods are more favourable when you're not trying?


 

2 comments:

Curtise said...

1970s maxis definitely have a place in my wardrobe, I adore them! Love orange too, and yes, the brobodices valise bodice is gorgeous. But then the jacket is pretty cool too, so if you have to cover up the lovely details, at least it was with something awesome.
The thrifting gods have forsaken me just now. I do usually fare better when I'm not trying, I think the gods smell desperation. We are organising a jumble sale at school and I am sorting out lots of stuff to donate, so I trust that karma will prevail and I'll have more luck after that. Cos that's obviously how the universe works, no?! xxxx

Goody said...

I loved the poster you had on the blog for the jumble.

I think the thrift stores are still suffering post-Christmas. Maybe with economy so-so, people didn't get much and in turn donate?

But yes, the Universe owes you some great stuff, or at least a psychedelic maxi dress or two.