Monday, February 10, 2014

Creme Vanille-Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950

As we approach Valentine's Day, here's a dessert you can make for yourself. Fine, you can make it for someone else if you're into making people feel appreciated and all that. As Bavarian recipes go, this one is pretty easy as it comes from the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook. You know the one.
This was my mother's cookbook, given to her in the 50's by a neighbor that took pity on her inability to cook. Each time I use it, things fall from where they were tucked between pages. It is still a shock to see her handwriting, as she's been gone all this time.
I know what you're thinking...but she really was the sort of person that needed a recipe for franks and beans. Tinned beans, at that. She couldn't spell either. Sometimes, the recipes I find almost sound good. I'm pretty sure she never made this one:
Typed on lined paper. That was my mother. She was good at many things, cooking and typing were not among them.

This is a nice dessert for people that don't care for cake. Nothing says "I love you" like egg yolks, and heavy cream. Unless they are lactose intolerant, or allergic to eggs, or vegan. Then, they're going to fucking hate you if you serve this which is why I said to make it for yourself.


You Will Need:

an oiled 1 quart mould (a heart shaped one would be spiffy)
Something attractive to serve it on-I used a pressed glass dish to help hold the sauce.

1 tablespoon unflavoured gelatine (I don't know how this would work out with leaf as I don't use it)
1/4 cup milk (I used 1% because that's what we had)
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk, scalded
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl, soften the gelatine in 1/4 cup milk. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks in a saucepan adding the sugar and salt slowly. Whisk in the scalded milk, and bring everything to a boil over medium heat, whisking regularly. Remove from heat, whisk in the gelatine, and set the saucepan into an icebath to cool. Meanwhile whip the heavy cream and vanilla until stiff. When gelatine mixture begins to set, beat with a mixer until light. Fold in the whipped cream, and pour it all into the prepared mould. Chill several hours. Carefully remove to a plate. I served mine with a strawberry sauce.

For a super-fancy strawberry Bavarian (and a funny story) go here:
http://eattheblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/strawberry-bavarian.html


2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

My word, does that dessert look scrumptious - the kind of thing you'd go back for for seconds of thirds. I wonder, perhaps if the gelatin was upped substantially, could it be made without eggs (I'm allergic). It's worth a go - though perhaps not on Valentine's Day itself, in case the results are far from ideal! ;D

Have an awesome February 14th, sweet lady!
♥ Jessica

Goody said...

I've never worked with the vegan egg replacers like Ener-G or linseeds, so I can't say with any authority. As you only use the yolks for a custard base, in theory it should be easy enough to make an eggless custard-but we all know how theories work out sometimes. The richness really does seem to depend on the cream.

Let me know if you experiment with it.

Happy Valentine's to you too!