Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Scary Animals (and the Clown) Want You To Get Well

We've all been hit with a round of something viral that causes lightheadedness, and laryngitis. I know you could have worse symptoms, but Danny has never experienced vertigo, and the poor kid has been grabbing at walls trying to walk. To minimise the risk of him falling, he took some meals in bed. Enter, THE TRAY.

Well if that doesn't scare you into getting well, nothing will. From the hairless monkey, to the wolf/fox hybrid holding what I'm positive is not a glass of milk, this tray is the stuff of childhood nightmares. You know the parrot is giving the bear orders to eat the dog, and the clown on the screen is telepathically recruiting the animal friends into some sort of cannibalistic cult. The potted plant is a nice touch though. There's always a potted plant, isn't there? Of course there is.

Thankfully, we don't need to use it often. I am however convinced that the strangeness of the tray speeds the recovery process along because no one in their right mind would want to look at that hairless monkey any longer than absolutely necessary. Zippy the Chimp he ain't.

There was no way he was going to read aloud with his voice going, and the eye motion of reading wasn't going to happen with vertigo, so I let Danny watch a two hour long DVD of pumkin chunkin. You know, where you launch pumpkins across a field with a trebuchet. We did that one Halloween at a fundraiser for a local church (well, it did bring out a crowd) and I have to admit, there is a thrill to seeing pumpkins sailing across a field (or parking lot). Anyway, since it was kinda-sorta educational, I let him loaf about in bed watching videos. Don't worry, I also made him watch a documentary about Angela Davis, so his sick days aren't a complete loss. 60's radicals and the physics of catapults-homeschooling is always an adventure.
"Heh, heh, heh...I just slipped the dog a mickey."



6 comments:

Curtise said...

That is one trippy tray! The bald monkey is definitely the oddest creature, he's quite horrid. I feel a bit sorry for the poor Dalmation puppy, who seems to have wandered into this mad scene from another, more mainstream illustration. Look, he's shit scared and cowering.
So there has been sickness all round, that sounds grim. I once had vertigo as a result of an ear infection and perforated ear drum; it was most disconcerting, like being permanently drunk or on a ship in bad weather. Or both. Hope the pumpkin launching cheered him up. Oh, and Angela Davis too...
Are you OK? Also clutching at walls, or just climbing them? xxx

Goody said...

@Curtise

Thanks for asking, I am OK. I had about a day of it, but I guess my old body has seen just about anything the viruses can throw at it, so I got a less intense version than the child. You know how it is when they're little.

Sue said...

Hope you are all on the mend. Nothing worse than the whole fam dam going down with a bug! That tray is awesome, must keep my eyes peeled for a get well in a hurray dinner tray of my own!! Naughty bear slipping the dog something 'special'!!

Jayne H said...

Catching up, in reverse order as usual, hope you are both feeling better today. I like the quirkiness of that tray.

Propagatrix said...

I have (and adore) the SAME EXACT FREAKY-ASS TRAY.

Goody said...

@Propagatrix

What are the odds? What really scares me is that they made more than one of these.