Saturday, January 03, 2015

Coffee Marshmallow Brownies-America Cooks, 1967

The boys went so wild for these brownies, I thought it worth sharing. I substituted chocolate chunks for the nuts in the recipe, and I suspect that was what made them so indulgent. They were very simple to make, and use items you probably have at home.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons strong black coffee (I used instant)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used chocolate chunks)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan. Melt shortening and chocolate over low heat in a pan (or use a double boiler-I didn't bother). In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then add the sugar and the chocolate mixture. Beat 1 minutes (I just used a whisk). Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together the coffee and extract. Add to the egg mixture, alternating. Beat well after each addition. Stir in marshmallows and nuts (or chocolate). Pour into pan and gently spread with a spatula.

The recipe said to bake it 50 minutes, but mine were done at 38 minutes, so I would advise keeping an eye one them after 30 minutes. It will be soft, but brownies firm up as they cool. If it begins to leave the sides of the pan, and isn't mushy when pressed lightly on top, you're probably done. Cool completely (I know, that's a LONG wait!) before cutting into 2 inch squares*.

* NO ONE cuts brownies into 2 inch squares except perhaps my mother who still behaved like she was living on war rations. If you're going to eat brownies, cut yourself a brownie.


2 comments:

Propagatrix said...

Ooh, I know what I'm making this afternoon...as soon as I pick up some marshmallows, which I don't think I've bought in fifteen years.

Goody said...

They held up well, and there's still one left that I'm going to try stirring into ice cream, sort of like Rocky Road. I think the Crisco gives things a longer shelf life than butter.

I'm not sure what else you can do with marshmallows other than cocoa, or rice krispy treats. Maybe glue them to cardboard for some Valentine decorations?