Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Schav-Cold Sorrel Soup

Schav is a love it or hate it food. I love it, the boys hate it. I have several sorrel plants producing like mad at the moment, so I made a batch of schav figuring I'd be the only one to eat it. They each politely tried some at dinner. They still hate it. I understand, sort of.

This recipe is for a small batch, which is a good place to start if you're unsure about your sorrel soup feelings. As food goes, schav is ugly. The sorrel turns grey, and the liquid itself becomes a milky green-grey sludge. I know, I'm really selling it, aren't I?

The thing is, on a hot day, to grab a glass of iced cold schav is a delight-if you grew up with it. The sourness of the lemon and sorrel is balanced by the sugar and egg. Some people add sour cream when serving, but I prefer it more basic. Either way, it should be as cold as possible short of freezing.

You Will Need:
2 cups water
2 cups chopped sorrel leaves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg, well beaten

In a pot, combine the water and sorrel. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add the salt, sugar, and lemon juice, and stir to dissolve sugar.

Place the egg in a heat-proof bowl. Whisk in the hot soup whisking quickly to avoid it cooking the egg. Let cool, then chill several hours. Serve alone, or with sour cream.


2 comments:

Beth Waltz said...

Would lightning strike if one were to color this concoction with beet juice a la borscht? If you were a Jewish sushi chef, how would you plate this? Literally, Fiesta ware might work!

Those savour cheese blintzes! All that's needed is a nice glass tea!





Goody said...

@Beth Waltz
Maybe not a lightning strike, but it would be all sorts of wrong-like a bright green artichoke!

I still have half a bag of that cheese in the fridge-thankfully not enough for a cheesecake.