Saturday, June 20, 2015

It All Comes Out Roses in the End

No idea why the neighbours all look at us funny.

I baked the, "Once a Year" chocolate raspberry ganache cake for Danny's half-Birthday. He requests this one every year, and it sort of became the default celebration cake at our house. I ruined the first layers I baked as they came out of the oven misshapen and flat. I couldn't figure out why until I realised I'd neglected to add the sugar. Yeah. So I made it again, and all was well. I'm glad I didn't try to frost it anyway without tasting them first-that would have been a surprise.
We sang half of, "Happy Birthday To You", but let him have a whole wish.
But it isn't entirely cake around here, you know. Sometimes I make Rice Krispy Treats, and decorate them with extra chocolate. Sometimes, when you're not in the mood to bake, it shows. Moving along...



The sun came out! I can't think of a better reason to break out the halter jumpsuit (not that it requires a reason, just some encouragement). The material is a lightweight jersey that flows beautifully when walk, and is easy to launder which is a good thing as I swept the floors everywhere I went today. 

Outfit Particulars:

Jumpsuit-K Mart 50% off
Shoes-K Mart (a few seasons ago)
Bangles-all over
Earrings-Hand-Me-Ups
70's handbag-Thrift World
Fragrance-1000, Jean Patou
Hair flowers-Tiff and Tam
Strapless bra-Waacol



I hope you have a great weekend. I'm finishing up lesson plans and then I'm off to buy some self-tanner. Goodness! 

Our local arthouse cinema is showing Grey Gardens next week, so we bought tickets. They're having a costume contest. I have the perfect housecoat and wig to do Big Edie. Danny's been rehearsing saying, "I fed the caaaaat." Should be fun. 


 Don't do anything I wouldn't do (which gives you plenty of opportunities)!













9 comments:

Sue said...

Holy moly you look bloody gorgeous in that jumpsuit!! Stuff what the neighbours think of you lot I think you are fabulous. You always bake the most amazing looking cakes by the way, and it makes me drool a little. Nothing like a bit of self tan to help get our skin out on show. Oh and happy half birthday to Danny.

Bibi said...

Love, love, LOVE that jumpsuit on you!
I keep meaning to try Patou's 1,000 & Amour, Amour. Ever since we went to Beijing I've been looking for the perfect osmanthus perfume (the Chinese call the scent of osmanthus the scent of happiness),
Mmmm, cake. Busy cooking for iftar & suhoor here.
"This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Because I don't like women in skirts and the best thing is to wear pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today."
-Some practical fashion advice from Little Edie
Happy Half B-Day Danny!

ThriftyParka said...

In the words of Billy Crystal, `You look MAH-valous!!` Mmmmmm, the cake and the cripy treats look delicious! Hee, hee, hee I love your comment re: your neighbours. Your blog is always a treat to read.

Goody said...

@Sue
I haven't used self-tanner since the 70's, and it always looked a bit orange on me. I'm told it has improved since then. I sure hope so, because it could hardly be worse!

Thank you for noticing my cakes. I really enjoy baking-it gives me time to only think about what I'm doing (and I *STILL* forgot the sugar!).

@Bibi
I have a couple relatives we call, Big Edie and Little Edie. I think that's being generous. Anyhoo, Danny was freaked out the first time he watched Grey Gardens, but he's now come around to appreciating it a bit more.

@Thrift Parka
Thank you. I do try to keep a sense of humor. I enjoy your blog as well-it has been too long since I've visited Canada, and you're making me want to go shopping!

Beth Waltz said...

I can sympathise with Danny. My first viewing of Grey Gardens as a middle-aged woman/daughter was traumatizing! Since then I've seen it yearly and each experience has revealed more about them -- and me. Suspect it's a case of the viewer's changing POVs. Lois's book about her life with the Beales is fascinating. She was the real "ghost of Grey Gardens" and her psychic portraits are haunting.

The black roses jumpsuit is stunning! I'm looking forward to your tribute to the Beales ensemble. (Once saw a fan who drew fleas on her ankles with eye pencil and carried a toy raccoon.)

Mim said...

Woah, that jumpsuit looks really foxy on you. Great colours and plenty of front!

I can't wait to hear about your Grey Gardens adventures.

Goody said...

@Beth Waltz

Danny's already thought of the raccoon!
The first time I saw it, I couldn't decide if I thought it was great, or exploitative and I'm still not really convinced either way. I feel the same way about Gummo, a film you should check out if you haven't already.

@Mim
I kept feeling I ought to wear something over it-a lifelong issue with having big boobs. I stepped out into the still, heavy, muggy heat and figured it was time already to quit worrying about it. They're not going to get any smaller, and if the scientists are right, our summers won't be getting any cooler.

Curtise said...

Oh I do love that jumpsuit! Halter necks are so gorgeous, but I can't manage without a bra (it hurts!) and I can't bring myself to shell out the cash for an appropriate bra, so I forgo the pleasure. But I can admire a halter neck on others. And a fine bending over shot too! xxx

Goody said...

@Curtise

I admit, the bra was crazy expensive, but it is almost fifteen years old, and still going strong so well worth the money. If you do decide to shell out for one, get the convertible type with the extra straps (mine came with both solid, and those clear plastic ones (hated those). Then, you can really feel like you've bought more than one bra.

I only mention it because now that you're sewing-halters are EASY to make from small bits of vintage fabric you can't do anything else with.